View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ol Blue
This happened in an ASA State championship tournament, and I wasn't one of the umpires involved......really.

Top of the sixth inning lead off batter singles, next batter singles now runners on 1B and 2B. Before pitch to the third batter of the inning coach wants to appeal BOO.
This is were things start to go bad. The runner on second the leadoff batter of the inning is the FLEX. DP is in the lineup and had made the last out of the previous inning, also the FLEX had been batting the entire game without anyone noticing. This isn't BOO because the FLEX wasn't batting in any of the first nine positions she was batting 10th IMO. If you did go with BOO then she is ok because a pitch was thrown to the next batter who is now on first and the correct batter is at the plate. I would probably go with illegal batter because the Flex batted while the DP was still in the game, but can this be appealed after a pitch to the next batter?
What happened, the runner at second the FLEX was ruled out and removed from the base. Offensisve coach protests and after a long discussion the UIC ruled FLEX out and put the runner on first on second so we continue with one out R2 on second. So my question is what would you have called here and what rule can you use to justify the UIC ruling?
Speaking ASA

You are correct, this is not BOO. It is, however, an illegal player. This calls for a DQ and the player is replaced by a substitute or via legal reentry by the player which is supposed to be there.

Here is the problem. Since the IP did not replace any of the first nine players in the line-up, there is no available player to replace the IP. Do you remove the IP and rule an out or just DQ the IP?

I would probably just DQ the IP. Moving other runners up a base is just wrong as their at bat and advance to 1B was not affected by the presence of the IP.

4.6.E.2.Effect.1.c