View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I'm not ripping on the volunteer, I volunteer for this too. I also try to give the kids a well reffed game, the same game I'd give if I was on the floor doing a boys varsity game. The fact that I've discussed this rule and others with this official in the past, but yet nothing seems to stick with him. I think if he doesn't want to do the best possible job, then he's doing the kids a disservice, and he shouldn't be there.

In my opinion there were other refs more deserving of that game. Refs who care, refs who know what there doing, and will give the kids a well reffed game.
Believe it or not, there are a lot of adults who would be reluctant to take advice from an 18 year old. Right or wrong. Perhaps it's the way you "discussed" it. Perhaps it's something entirely else. Point is, you will find that there are ways to communicate with people that will be effective and ways that will be ineffective. Maybe if you looked at this situation from a different perspective you would see that perhaps you are more a part of the problem, and not enough a part of the solution.

I'll bet this guy is doing the best possible job that he can do. Why volunteer his time if he was trying to be bad at what he's doing? You think you know more, and maybe you do, but it's really irrelevant. Work on your communication skills so that when you do try and educate someone about a particular rule, it comes across in a way they will accept your input. Being a good referee and teaching someone else to be a good referee are 2 entirely different skills.