Thread: Hand Checking
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
This is one of the things wrong with officiating at the HS level - the lack of consistancy from official to official. The whole point of having an NFHS is to standardize calls. When NFHS puts out a point of emphasis, it is because officals are not interpreting the call the way the NFHS wants it called.

JRut is correct in looking for advantage/disadvantage if that is what his local association asks for, but the state association should be ensuring that the POE is followed throughout the state, or issue its own POE. It is unfair to have teams playing in a statewide tournament facing a new set of interpretations after following a different philosophy for the rest of the season.
For the record Jim, our local associations do not dictate what we call or what we do not call. I am lucky if I even work with people in any association I belong to. I would say about 80% of the time I do not work with people that I do not share an association membership with (I belong to 4 different groups). Local associations are training organizations, not assigning organizations. Our state office holds rules meetings and that is where philosophies are shared and they give interpretations on how to handle things. Not ever POE is a problem in every state. A lot of times they tell us their philosophy and that is what we follow from the start of the season to the playoffs. The state assigns the playoff games, not the local associations. Many times the people they assigned are calling the game the way they want.

Peace