Thread: Hand Checking
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 28, 2005, 01:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Is anyone actually reading these posts?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Jeff --

The point is that things are called differently in different areas. Around here, we need to call hand-checking tightly, especially if an assignor or evaluator is watching. In your locale, it appears that things are different. it's important to keep saying this because others who lurk around here don't always have the full understanding of how things are done across the country.
Who said anything about not calling hand checking? I never said not to call hand checking. I never said I do not call hand checking. I said I do not call it unless there is some displacement. I could add holding, directing and moving to this discussion as well. If a defender simply touches a dribbler you cannot honestly tell me you have a foul. If that is the case your games have to have 50 fouls and no one is able to play because they are sitting on the bench.

Also what I am saying is not very different from what I see on TV on a regular basis. I do not see anyone across the country at the college level calling a simple touch as a hand check. So I do not think we need to talk about what is acceptable in our area and what is not acceptable in other areas. I do not see anything different when watching basketball in California or even the ESPN High School games than what I see in my backyard every game. The only level that is very specific in what is a hand checking call is NCAA Women's basketball. They go into great detail as to what is a foul and talk specifically about if a player is touched and how is a foul. Just because the NF did not use specific words does not mean that people do not have different interpretations of this or any rule.

Peace