View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 27, 2005, 03:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Aggie
I don't have a Fed book handy and the last one I had was probably '97 or so and wouldn't update changes.

Here's the bizarre scenario (that actually happened):

3.18 seconds left, Team A coming back from timout trailing by 3 for baseline throw in with ability to run the line. There is a legal pass along the baseline from A-1 to A-2 (still out of bounds), and then a pass from A-2 to A-3 about 7/8ths of the way down the court (well inside the 3 point line). A-3 receives pass cleanly, then makes a turn toward the basket when the horn goes off. There's no way it took 3+ seconds for the catch and turn, so it is clear the clock operator started the clock on the OOB throw along the baseline.

After the horn goes off, the officials realize the clock started prematurely and go to the table. Team A's coach is incensed and starts yelling like a madman (pretty much the same way he'd been doing the entire game). After a discussion, the officials decide to put 3.18 back on the clock and replay it. So here we go again, except that this time, there is no OOB pass. A direct pass down to the other side of the court is intercepted by Team B, who makes two passes, then throws the ball in the air. Something's missing here: NO HORN. Team A grabs the ball out of the air and shoots a 2 point shot that goes in. Still no horn.

Turns out the clock operator put 3:18 (as in minutes) instead of 3.18 SECONDS on the clock. After 10 minutes of discussion, the officials decide to replay it yet one more time. This time the horn goes off and Team A doesn't get a shot off. Team B wins by 3.

Now, other than killing the clock operator, tell me what you would have done at each instance in this situation.
What a mess!! IMO, they did right by putting time back on since there was a timing error. However, whenever they did this, they should have checked the clock to make sure the right time was placed on the clock, therefore there being 3 minutes and 18 seconds was somewhat their fault too.