View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 26, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Went to a Chicago Public League varsity non conference game last night. A1 went up for a layup and after his attempt hit the backboard, B1 deflected it but the ball still went in. Neither official blew his whistle for a violation. Is this a violation? The ball had already contacted the backboard but was still on its way up. Another possibility was that since the ball went in they held their whistle?
Also at tip off time there was only one ref on the court- needless to say they weren't on the court 15 minutes before the game watching the visitors dunking during warmups. There was no coaches/captains meeting beforehand and one of the officials was very considerably overweight. He had a hard enough time walking let alone even thinking of running up and down the court. He was continually out of position and was really getting it from the fans. Anybody out there from the Chicago area know how the CPL does its assigning? I can't believe an assignor would give a varsity game to someone who may be very rules competent but not physically able to officiate this game. I felt bad for the players and it was uncomfortable listening to the fans continually get on this official. I guess I also can't understand why this official would accept an assignment he knows he isn 't physically able to handle. To make matters worse, the game went ino OT!