View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Someone might argue that . . . the very action of "tapping" the runner is interpreted as a physical assist.

Apparently ASA does consider a BR who is "reminded physically to go to 1B by a coach" to have been given a physical assist. I imagine that to be something like a tap on the shoulder. That's not what I always thought of as a physical assist, but if that's what they want, that's what I'll call.

Question #43 on the ASA test deals with a BR who gets a base on balls and then celebrates with the team and is reminded physically by a coach to go to 1B. But the question does not specify "FP only." In FP, since the ball is in play after a walk, the BR would be called out. But in SP, the ball is not in play; it's dead after the pitch. So I can't see that this would apply in SP.

Incidentally, an addition (in bold) dates back to the 2003 book, and I'm having a tough time understanding it:

Rule 8, Section 7
The runner is out:

. . . D. When the runner physically passes a preceding runner before that runner is put out. If this was the third out of the inning, any runs scoring prior to the out for passing a preceding runner would count.

E. When anyone other than another runner physically assists a runner while the ball is in play.

Effect - Section 7 A-E: The ball is in play and the runner is out. In D and E, the runner passing or assisting is called out.

Since there is a remotely possible confusion over just which runner "that runner" refers to in 7-D, I can understand why ASA inserted the clause. However, with regard to part E, it is not the runner assisting who is out, but the runner being assisted.

I'm sure this rule is actually correct and crystal clear, but I'd like to learn what faulty inferences I'm making.