Thread: Batting Order
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

What am I missing, greymule?

Runners irrelevant. B1 due up. B2 bats. B2 gets a hit. Defense appeals BOO. B1 declared out. B2 is the proper batter now due up. B2 removed from base and bats in the proper place. This is enforcement of 7-2-C-2, right? B2 is removed from base, right? B2 now bats in the proper order, right?

It is enforcement of 7-2-C-2. However, B2 is not removed so that he can bat in his proper place, as part 4 seems to imply. He is removed because he was an improper batter and the defense appealed. Whether he is to bat or not, he is still taken off the base. This is where part 4 fails. There is no reason whatsoever for part 4 to mention part 2. When it does, it creates unnecessary confusion.

I too never had any problem understanding the rule, but it was not because I read the book. It was because I knew the baseball rule and figured out that ASA was following that, though I admit I had a hard time with part 4 and eventually gave up on it, assuming the literal interpretation didn't quite match what they really meant. Had I relied on the book alone, I would not have understood the rule.

In all honesty, I would be interested to know why some people have no problem understanding the ASA book and why others, like me, have such a hard time with it. It may boil down to the fact that different readers have different expectations from the book.