View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Guys - let's not get our terms confused. A technical foul never counts as a personal foul. Yes - it does count toward the five fouls for a DQ, and a lot of score books don't have a way to indicate this properly and you wind up having the scorer list it in the personal area since that is the only way you can tell when the total reaches five, but it is not a personal. Newer books should have the two boxes for technicals in the same place as the five boxes for personals so you can just look at the total only when it reaches five, of course (in reference to another thread).

Some feel you should mark it as a personal also so you make sure it is counted toward the team foul total. I understand this, but if you have a scorekeeper with at least half a brain (and I know this isn't always the case), he or she should be able to keep the terminology straight and not screw up - with a little explanation from you, of course.
Back when I kept the book, I used one slash through the number to signify a foul. If it was a technical, I'd put a T through the number. It seemed to work.

If I were to add my opinion to the design of a scoresheet, I'd also add an area for technicals administered to bench personel. It's probably wishful thinking, but I think it would be able to work. Most scorers don't understand the difference between a direct and indirect T on a coach.