View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SpeedyGonGoalie
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
WHY let your partner walk all over you? YOU report the flagrant and if your partner doesn't like it, he can leave.

I haven't worked rec ball in a few years, but I had a simple philosophy -- no warnings. Whack away. If the hiring people didn't like it, that was one less headache for me. But they ALL wanted to hire people that would take care of crap so they didn't have to.

This behavior starts and ends with attitudes like your partner's. Throw a couple of people out and word starts getting around and, magically, people start behaving better.
That reminds me of something else. Our intramural program is not the "Land of Warnings". In a college setting, you are under a stricter code of conduct than the law, or what most associations will establish. With little formal power structure (i.e. no coaches), no one to discipline or control players and fans, and the wide range of officiating skill which leads to angry fans and players, it should be especially easy to throw someone out. The player you T up is not a coach with clout in a state association. Here, we have a policy of backing up officials 100%. Never have I seen someone let someone back into a game after being thrown out. More often than not, incidents are investigated and players are punished even if no technical was called or players were ejected. I've worked with partners who were more strict than me, or been the head official (like supervisor) for the same officials. Sure, I might not agree with the calls, but they made them, and as long as I can tell it isn't pure malice on the part of the officials and the player at least somewhat deserved it (even remotely), then I'll back them up.

Undisciplined, agressive players more used to playing pick-up games than anything with officials shouldn't get more leeway, more control is neccessary.