View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
If the shot is missed, I'll go with the AP. If the shot is made, I'm going with the ball to B and an endline throwin. The ball doesn't become dead until the try ends, even on a whistle. Once the ball becomes dead, it's B's ball. I can't justify going AP after a made shot due to an IW.
You got it! Case book play 7.5.4 (although a bit unclear because it is not specified that part c is only for an unsuccessful try) as well as the following NFHS interp (which claries the case book play) from this season tells you to do just that.

SITUATION 11: An official sounds his/her whistle accidentally while A1’s try attempt is in flight. The try is (a) unsuccessful or (b) successful. RULING: Even though the whistle has blown, the ball does not become dead until the try ends. The official’s accidental whistle has no effect on the flight of the ball. In (a), since there is no team or player control when the try is unsuccessful, the ball is put in play by the team entitled to the throw-in using the alternating-possession procedure. In (b), score the basket by A1. Even though, by rule, there is no team control during this dead-ball period following the score, the ball would be given to Team B for a throw-in anywhere along the end line. Team B would have clearly received the ball had the official not accidentally sounded his/her whistle. (6-7-5 Exception (1); 7-4-4; 7-5-4; 4-12-3,6)