View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by David B
#2 - you didn't answer my question about would you call an intentional foul on a player who grabs another player while their are jostling for position on a throw in?

that was my question to start with. I personally think it was a very bad call. A simple foul would have been the better call in that situation because it doesn't fit the criteria for an intentional foul.

[/B]
I did answer your question, David--at 3:53pm yesterday. That post is on p2.

The criteria for an intentional foul, as listed in NFHS rule 4-19-3, include "to neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position" and "contact away from the ball" or "contact...when not playing the ball". Could you please explain why the play you described doesn't have all three of those criteria for an intentional foul apply to it? [/B][/QUOTE]

That's good points, and I also looked in the case book and there is a similiar play.

So in retrospect, (according to the case book) this is simply NOT called because in my 12 years of calling and 10 years of coaching before that, I've never seen this type of play called.

As others have mentioned, most of the time all intentional fouls are called either on a breakaway play or in regards to time.

"to neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position"

Does not apply - they were simply jostling for position like happens everytime down the court between two post players.

"contact away from the ball"

This may have been his interpretation because the ball was away -

"contact...when not playing the ball".
this is redundant.

Edited by DB because I see Rich and Bob have covered what I was thinking

So another question.

If this is how intentional fouls are to be called, then why are not most fouls called in the post intentional.

We see it every day with defensive players mugging an offensive post player and either nothing is called or a simple foul is called.

Personally I think the rule makers did not put enough information in the rules with regards to this play. I know a few years back we had POE about calling intentional fouls, but that was with regards to end of the game situations.

I feel like I can learn from any good discussion, but when we have a rule, but we don't have any officials calling that portion of a rule I just start wondering why.

Thanks for the help
David

[Edited by David B on Feb 22nd, 2005 at 11:57 AM]