View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

[/B]
Change the scenario slightly -- B1 doesn't grab A1's jersey, but instead tries to beat A1 to a spot and fails -- it still meets all the criteria you mentioned, but is (probably, hopefully) not an intentional foul.

In the original play -- if B1 and A1 were "locked up" prior to the throw-in, and B1 instnctively grabbed the jersey as A1 started to move away for the throw-in, I'd have a common foul.

If A1 had moved away and B1 reached out and grabbed the jersey because B1 recognized that s/he "was beat" on the play, I'd be more likely to support an I foul.
[/B][/QUOTE]Exactly. I agree completely with those scenarios completely. It's always a judgement call on the part of the official responsible for the call, as it was in the original post in this thread. And if I asked you in the dressing room after the game about whatever call that you did make, and you gave me your reasons why you either called it a common foul or an intentional personal foul, that should have been the end of it. It's your call and I gotta have at least a little faith in your judgement.

Without seeing the play either, I'm also not gonna second-guess whatever call your judgement did end up leading you to make. Again, jmo.