View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by David B
#2 - you didn't answer my question about would you call an intentional foul on a player who grabs another player while their are jostling for position on a throw in?

that was my question to start with. I personally think it was a very bad call. A simple foul would have been the better call in that situation because it doesn't fit the criteria for an intentional foul.

[/B]
I did answer your question, David--at 3:53pm yesterday. That post is on p2.

The criteria for an intentional foul, as listed in NFHS rule 4-19-3, include "to neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position" and "contact away from the ball" or "contact...when not playing the ball". Could you please explain why the play you described doesn't have all three of those criteria for an intentional foul apply to it? [/B][/QUOTE]

Change the scenario slightly -- B1 doesn't grab A1's jersey, but instead tries to beat A1 to a spot and fails -- it still meets all the criteria you mentioned, but is (probably, hopefully) not an intentional foul.

In the original play -- if B1 and A1 were "locked up" prior to the throw-in, and B1 instnctively grabbed the jersey as A1 started to move away for the throw-in, I'd have a common foul.

If A1 had moved away and B1 reached out and grabbed the jersey because B1 recognized that s/he "was beat" on the play, I'd be more likely to support an I foul.