Official Forum Member

Re: Not quite correct

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by RollTide
1) I'm basing my opinion on the situation from the way David relayed it to this board.
From the situation as it was presented to this board, I'm glad I wasn't the calling official's partner that night, because, in my opinion, yes, the entire group looks bad after that kind of call.

2) Learn the game situations, learn what you should be looking for. Once you get familiar with these 2 basic parts of officiating, your games will go a lot smoother and you'll be recognized by your peers as a solid referee, one they will not hesitate to go on the floor with at any time.

1) You're basing your opinion on an official that was watching the play from miles outside his primary. You're dumping all over a fellow official without even seeing the call he made or hearing his explanation of the call. Imo, whether you like or agree with it, anyone that does something as unprofessional as that can make also make an entire group look bad.

2) You might be have a little more credibility preaching about "basics parts of officiating" if you hadn't already shown me that you don't really have a basic grasp of the rules yourself--i.e. "dead ball holding fouls". Iow, please don't talk down to me about what I need to learn.

As I said, we just disagree. Shrug.
This has been blown a little out of proportion.

#1 - it wasn't 30 feet away and it wasn't necessarily out of my primary. The throw in was FT line extended. The call was made on a player on the blocks. If there was a call to be made it should have been made by the lead. (this is three man mechanics)

After we hand the ball to the thrower we are required to watch the action which in this situation was in the direction of the violation.

#2 - you didn't answer my question about would you call an intentional foul on a player who grabs another player while their are jostling for position on a throw in?

that was my question to start with. I personally think it was a very bad call. A simple foul would have been the better call in that situation because it doesn't fit the criteria for an intentional foul.

#3 - this was a very unusual call as I stated to start with. Obviously no one else has made the same call because they would have stated it.

Finally - if we can't critique out partners then why are we officials at all. Simply accept everything at face value, call your primary area and go home.

I don't play that game. This play could have affected the game, and it was so unusual that the coach nearly got a T for arguing. Surely we as officials are a team, but at that point in the contest, I was ready to find a hole to crawl in - it was that bad.

There was no way to explain the call to the coach because it made no sense, so I had to let the guy who called it explain it.

Anyway, makes a good discussion.

Thanks
David
You have yet to really describe the play, all you are offering up is your opinion.

You said the throw-in was coming from the sideline FT line extended and the foul occured on the block ball side correct?

Where was the ball? Did the thrower still have it? Was it coming to the player being held?

Based on where the throw-in was administered and where a cutter may have been coming from, the center would be in the best position to see everything.

To answer your question about an intentional for a shirt grab, yes I have called it SEVERAL times. Mostly on break aways, but I have called it when a player was cutting back door and got grabbed from behind while the pass was coming.

The official was able to explain why he called it to you, why wasn't he tableside after the call?

Why did you not huddle after this unusual call so that one of you could explain it if you were not using the correct tableside mechanic?