View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently you aren't seeing that the official that was there was questioning his partners call. He described the situation in question, and I agree with his interpretation of how the rules seemed to have been misinterpreted and enforced erroneously. I'm basing my opinion on the situation from the way David relayed it to this board.

From the situation as it was presented to this board, I'm glad I wasn't the calling official's partner that night, because, in my opinion, yes, the entire group looks bad after that kind of call.

I was calling a state playoff game this past Friday night. One of my partners is considered to be the best official by many around this part of the state. He was the R and conducted our pregame session. One of the final statements he made before we hit the floor was this: "We're not going to put any 'crap' in the game". He then explained exactly what this statement meant to us. He said, we don't want to call anything that we're going to have a hard time explaining to a coach (especially if the game is going down to the wire and it's crunch time).

Learn the game situations, learn what you should be looking for. Once you get familiar with these 2 basic parts of officiating, your games will go a lot smoother and you'll be recognized by your peers as a solid referee, one they will not hesitate to go on the floor with at any time.