View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 06:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RollTide
1) I'm simply replying to a post made by an official that was right there on the spot and apparently questioned his fellow official that had used his own 'common sense and rules knowledge' to make the call he did.
The situation that was presented by David would lead me to believe that his partner erred in choosing to call an intentional foul.

2)In fact, we're encouraged to go in after each game and instead of patting each other on the back and telling each other about what a great job we just did, we're encouraged to pick out at least 3 plays/situations that occurred during the game and ask each other what we saw.
1) Oh? I thought we were talking about an offcial that made a call on a throw-in that he was administering, and one of his partners that had no business watching a throw-in that was out of his primary was questioning that call. Now if he was watching it, why would his view and judgement of the play from 30 feet away be better than his partner? The calling official gave his reasons for making the call after the game. You're saying that the "common sense and rules knowledge" of the official that made the call was crappy, and you still haven't seen the call or talked to the calling official about it. The "situation as presented by David" might be a completely different situation if presented by the guy who made the call. Well, I never saw the call either. That's why I always give the benefit of the doubt to the official that made the call.

2)Pray tell how you can be so sure then that a call that you never saw was so definitely wrong? A call that you never have discussed with the calling official either? How can you be so sure the guy was wrong, especially when the official that made the call thought that he did have the right call? The calling official explained after the game what he called. The calling official then gave his rationale for what he called. Maybe that not good enough for you, but that's good enough for me. I've got more respect for my fellow offcials than to second-guess them that badly. Especially when I didn't see the call, or if I saw it from 30 feet away when the guy calling it was right there.

We disagree.