View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm simply replying to a post made by an official that was right there on the spot and apparently questioned his fellow official that had used his own 'common sense and rules knowledge' to make the call he did.

The situation that was presented by David would lead me to believe that his partner erred in choosing to call an intentional foul.

I assume you've never been on the floor with a partner who blew a call that made a big difference in the outcome (potential outcome) of a game. From listening to your posts, I'm sure none of your partners have ever questioned any of your calls either, cause you seem to be a perfect official.

Most of us aren't perfect officials, contrary to all beliefs. Those of us that aren't won't ever be perfect if the perfect officials won't help us out and let us know when we've handled a situation incorrectly.

From my understanding we are to support our fellow officials while we're on the court during the game. We're never supposed to sell them out during the game. However, once the game is over and we are off the floor, would this not be the time to question our fellow officials hoping it will lead to each of us getting better?

In fact, we're encouraged to go in after each game and instead of patting each other on the back and telling each other about what a great job we just did, we're encouraged to pick out at least 3 plays/situations that occurred during the game and ask each other what we saw. We do this to give immediate feedback on whether we handled the play the best it could've been handled, or if one of our partners knows of a better way to handle it.