Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
Bob,

if it is legal to throw the ball off of your own board (not a try) and recover it, why is it not legal to throw the ball over the top of a defender, run around him and catch it before it hits the floor? I can't find a rules difference.

In the NBA play the player dribbled downcourt, threw the ball of of his board (obviously not a try) and slammed it through the basket. Since his own board cannot constitute a dribble, how is this legal?
Because it DID NOT hit the floor.

If you have not dribbled or are dribbling you can throw/bat the ball over the defender and let it bounce and continue dribbling. You cannot throw/bat it over and catch it BEFORE it hits the floor, that's an illegal dribble.
I know that. The problem is that the ball DID NOT touch the floor in either of the examples I listed above. Running around the defender and catching the ball should be the same as throwing off of your backboard (no try) and catching the ball.
Your backboard is part of the floor, but it is not considered a dribble when the ball strikes your backboard, any ball that strikes it ends player control just like a shot.