View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 21, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I made a mistake in my previous post. If the official had already placed the ball at the disposal of the offensive player for the throw-in, this wouldn't be a dead ball foul. We weren't given this part of the situation.

However, the game situation didn't present itself for this to be an appropriate time to use the intentional foul rule. Common sense should tell any competent official as much. Yes, we are to enforce the rule book when we're working a game. However, if we don't know how to use common sense (knowing the game/situation), our odds of interpreting and enforcing the rule book correctly aren't very good.

As for rule support, I never said there wasn't rule support to call an intentional foul.

To use one of your previous comments "is grabbing a shirt accidental or intentional", let's use that statement for the following: anytime a post player places his knee in his/her opponents butt, you could call an intentional foul, cause it's very unlikely his knee ended up in the butt by accident.

[Edited by RollTide on Feb 21st, 2005 at 04:28 PM]