View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 19, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
I can't escape the feeling we are vastly overreacting to this.

Misreading or misunderstanding the official interp. Taking it to extremes not intended. etc.

I hope so.
Tom,

Thank you, someone who actually has their eyes wide open.

Y'all taken things a bit too seriously, aren't you? I stated that I was taught that if runners are advancing there is always a chance to make an out. I didn't say anything about that being the rule, did I?

I, also, mentioned "judgment", didn't I? Obviously, you don't rule people out when there is no chance for a play, let alone an out.

Here it is, plain and simple. On-Deck batters are "permitted" to be in the field of play. They are not considered a person involved in the game. Unlike base coaches in the box, they have no area of protection and hold sole responsibility for avoiding any interference with the game which may be caused by themselves and/or any equipment which the bring onto the field of play with them. That includes being aware of their relative position to the ball and ensuing play.

If the ODB leaves the circle as permitted in 7.1.D.2 and is in a proper position to perform the task of directing a runner and is accidentally hit with a deflected or uncaught ball beyond the play, that would not be interference unless there was some intention to interfere with further play noted.

In the past I made a statement, and I have no problem repeating it. If anyone has a problem making calls without the specific scenario being covered in a rule book, s/he should find an avocation other than sports official. I am not aware of any sport in which there is not some judgment by the official involved. For that matter, if it wasn't for the judgment parts of our position, there would be little need for us.

Thanks,