View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 17, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Please Address this Situation:

I like Rich's answer, if the catcher is going to have to give chase in order to make the tag, then standing on the plate with the ball and appealing is sufficient.

That is in sharp contrast to the runner arriving back at the plate a moment before the ball. In that case, a tag is required in order to make an appeal per the earlier stated rules.

Quote:
Originally posted by dddunn3d
Bases loaded, 3-0 count, next pitch ball 4, R3 as before misses home plate.

R3 continues towards his dugout, a good 80' away from the plate, and is just two steps away from entering. At this time one of his teammates shouts to R3, "They're appealing you missing home!" R3 turns and observes that F1 has thrown the ball to F2; the ball is about half-way to home. R3 then starts to run back to the plate. Before R3 has traversed even one-third of the distance back to the plate, F2 has secured the ball while touching home, and asks for the appeal.

Is this a legal appeal or does F2 have to tag R3?

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates