View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
This dumb coach runs out on the floor and says, "Wait a minute, first you give them too many shots and now you're giving them the ball?"
Sounds like it was time to give them two more shots - and give them the ball one more time!

Maybe you should have pulled a "Dave" and told the coach it's rule 14, article 21b, section R, subsection 54.2, note 451, line 6a and that he should look it up if he didn't believe you.
I've used that kind of response several times and it often works, but this time I did something different, and -- may I brag just a little here -- this time my something different worked great! This coach had been chewing on our tails the whole game. For some reason, I hadn't T'd him yet although we discussed it at halftime. Like I said, the incident described above was in the middle of the third quarter. After he came out and yelled as listed above, I went over and got right in his face and said, "Coach, coach, coach" (it took three times to get him to stop yelling) "We are playing by HS rules here, not NBA. In high school rules, we shoot the fouls in the order they occurred. The foul on the shot was first so the original shooter shot twice, then the technical, and their number 23 shot twice. That is all according to the rule book. In HS rules, a technical gets two shots AND the ball, that's right, two shots and the ball so now we are giving the ball to yellow." I didn't look away even after all that. He looked up at me, and said, "Well it sounds like you have this under control!" and never said another word the rest of the game, although he did motion travelling several times. For some reason, he decided that maybe I wasn't such an idiot, and he submitted! I could get used to this!