View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Boys HS Varsity game...two players from same team going for rebound...player 1 jumps and is coming down as player 2 is going up...chin of player 1 lands on head of player 2 coming up...both players go to floor - 1 absolutely unconscious, and 2 pretty much that way...blood from chin everywhere. I hit whistle, stop game, get trainers and coaches out there...paramedic comes out of stand to help out...I tell coach that both players are done for the night unless they get checked out by a doctor...his response: "Why? They're on the same team!!" It was such a stupid statement that I just shook my head and walked off...about 10 min. later, as we are finally getting ready to play, the coach told me "I understand what you were saying - I was just really concerned and not thinking clearly." I told him "I'm glad coach, you had me worried for a while."
I had a similar incident a few years ago. It was a State League Mens Division 1 game (2 levels down from pro). Team was down by 2 coming up to the end of half time. The star player was screaming for the ball, instead a bench player dribbles full court, and throws up a three point attempt. The "star" was quite upset at his team mate, threw a bit of foul language at him and then threw a punch at him on the way to the bench. I immediately ejected him for fighting. His coaches comment: How can that be a foul? They're on the same team.
When I explained that it was still fighting, all the coach could say was BUT they're on the same team! It should be up to me.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee