View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 10:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I had a situation last week I've been going over in my head. Home coaches aren't happy, they end up losing by around 5 or so. T'd home coach with about 2 minutes left.
At half time, home assistant saw me sweating and gave me a towel on the way to the locker room. After the game, I'm waiting near the door for my partner to catch up so we can leave. Home AC comes to about 20 feet from me and asks,

"Where's that towel I gave you."
"It's in the dressing room, coach."
"Make sure you leave it. I don't trust you guys, for a number of reasons."

Thoughts in my head:
1) I should probably T that, but the games over, and I have to walk across the gym to do it.
2) Home HC is between me and the table, and giving this T is likely to result in a 2nd on the HC by the time it's over.
3) Let's get out of here.

I don't feel too bad about passing it up since the game was over, but at the same time I don't want coaches to feel like it's "open season" once the final buzzer sounds. I think the time could have been ripe for a short heart-to-heart with him, along the lines of, "Coach, I expect you think I missed some calls, and I may have missed a couple here and there. However, that doesn't give you the right to question my integrity in front of people like that."
But that's a much longer statement than I like to have with coaches.
Oh well, I'll let it go, I suppose. I just don't like that I let that go without comment.