View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 16, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
1) There is nothing in the rules that allows or demands a warm-up period after a delay. I believe that's his rational. So as an official, we must be confident in our rules knowledge, and get the game going as soon as possible.

2) We need to have the confidence to run the game as it was intended.
1) There is nothing in the rules that forbids a warm-up period after a delay either. That's up to the official's judgement. "Confidence in rules knowledge" applies equally well to both sides of this argument.

2) Confidence to run the game as who intended? As you intended? Rotationslim's opinion is just as valid as your's and Rut's on this one. You're representing your opinion as being fact. It isn't. Neither can Rut's or rotationslim's opinion be considered as fact either. All of you are just arguing your own opinions. It's simply up to the official on the spot to make the decision as best as he can. No more- no less.
I'm not trying to say my opinion is fact. But my opinion is it is better if you can back up your decision with a specific rule, case, state interp, etc. What do you tell a coach who says "I'm ready to play now" while the other team wants a warm-up? If we stay away from trying to do things that aren't included in the rules, we keep ourselves out of unnecessary trouble. If one coach wants a warm-up, and the other doesn't care, go for it. It's common sense. It's just one of those non game-related issues that are best left alone, if possible.

As far as running the game as it is intended, I guess I'm talking about the rules committee of whatever level you are in. If they had intended for there to be a warm-up period after a delay, there would be some mention of it in the rules. If we are talking about what I intend for the game, I would get rid of those damn baggy shorts that go below the knees...