View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 12, 2001, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Hey, fellow officials, I need your help.

I worked a series of AAU games this past weekend. The setting is a "back" gym with only one entrance/exit, and the tournament director is spending most of his time in the "front" gym. One game involved 12-year-olds and it was close all the way. The home coach was a demonstrative guy... up a lot during the game, yelling enough to warrant a stop sign from us officials. The team coached by the demonstrative coach ends up losing by two points. Immediately after the game (lots of loud celebrating by the winning team) the losing coach chases each of us officials down and screams at us with lots of words beginning with the letter "F". This tirade goes on for a good 2-3 minutes. We, of course, cost his team the game.

My partner and I got together and decided that we should ban him from any more tournament coaching. We sought out the tournament director, who informed us that this coach's team had just been eliminated with their second loss of the weekend. We let it go at that.

Here's the question: do we have any more recourse against this coach? Is there a regional/national sanctioning agency for AAU ball which has jurisdiction on stuff like this? His tirade was such that, if he were a HS coach, he would be DQ'd for at least the next two games.

Comments/suggestions welcomed.