View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 08:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I have been on my stump abut POE's lately, but this is one that has taken root, and I like it.

If the contact is very, very minor or if it is a foul that would happen in ordinary play* I will let it go with a warning but anything else will get an intentional from me.

If you don't, it looks like you are playing favs.

I have had some dumb coaches yell foul then look at me wierd this year when I call it, but I also had a coach get pretty red arsed at his team for not fouling this year. It was a close game and the coach started to yell foul, foul. The capt. on the floor wisely told the whole team not to. To the layman it looked like a revolt, and the coach took it that way, but I thought it was pretty heads up ball. Too bad I couldn't have stood up for the kid when he was running his onions off at the next practice.

* For all those interested what I mean is a foul that would have happened whether the coach was yelling foul or not. If a kid dribbles at the top of the key for a few seconds then drives to the hole and gets hammered, I am not going to call an intentional unless it truly is. Why, because if it was in the 1st quarter and the kid did the same thing, he probably would have been drilled then too.
Brian,
For marginal contact with some apparent effort for the ball, I won't make the intentional call, if the coach is not "advertising".

One coach last year was yelling, "Foul 'em!" and B1 went after the sideline dribbler, right in front of his coach, with a hand in front and a hand behind the dribbler so that body contact was made. I called an intentional and told the coach with his yelling, he forced me to make that call.
A bit later, the same play in the same place, with the coach biting his tongue, I called a common foul.
Point made. Although, I imagine the fans were wondering what changed my mind.
mick