View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:34am
In Memoriam

From an assignor and evaluator and common-sense standpoint, it's a "nit-pick" imo. It's not something that really should influence the final decision as to whether that official should be assigned to better games or moved along the playoff path. The important thing is "what you call", not how you describe it after you've called it. Evaluation of an official usually consists of two quite separate categories; the actual calls that the official makes and the mechanics being used. Even in the mechanics part, all mechanics aren't created equal either. Positioning during the play is a heckuva lot more important than positioning during a time-out.You can teach standard mechanics like positioning, signalling, terminology, etc. You can't teach judgement, game-awareness, people skills, presence, etc.

Personally, I think that you just sit down with the official and say "hey, don't use those phrases". Explain why. The bottom line though is I've never heard a coach scream at an official for maybe saying "He was reaching". They do scream if they think you got that "reaching" foul wrong though.

Heresy maybe, but my honest opinion.