View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 15, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Good call. tjones1 has it absolutely correct also.

If you know the game even a little...you know the team behind is going to foul in situations like this.
I call the first touch in most cases to keep the rough stuff to a minimum.

Had my first intentional of the season last week-end.
4A boys Varsity. Visiting team B had beaten the first place team in the league, at B's home, the night before.
Home team A was putting a pretty good beating on Team B.
(Final score 82-35)
Both teams are in the middle of the pack and fighting for a playoff spot.
Player B1 was getting frustrated toward the end of the game...about 2 minutes left.
A1 had rebounded the ball at his own basket and was getting ready to put up a shot...B1 was out of position and didn't want A1 to get an easy put back...so B1 grabbed A1 from behind with both arms to prevent the put back. I initially put the fist straight up for the foul...but in a nano second B1 gave a little extra "bear hug" with A1 almost losing his balance and falling. The crowd noise went up over their apparent displeasure of this "extra" act. I immediately went with the crossed arms, paused, and held it as the two players untangled...no further activity between the two happened.
I walked to the table holding the crossed arms for a little longer than maybe I had to.
The crowd hushed...I don't think they totally knew what the crossed arms meant...but, they knew something was different.
I reported the intentional and went directly to Coach B.
I said something to the effect of, "C'mon Coach, we don't need any of this."
He said, with somewhat of a twinkle in his eye, "Aw, he was just trying to hold him from falling down...anyway, if you and I were playing...I would have to stop you from making that shot to."
"Yeah coach, but you wouldn't have to have the extracurricular stuff...I possibly could have even called that flagrant."
That was about it...we put the ball in play on the endline...and away we went...the rest of the game went uneventful.

I'm assuming you shot 2 for the intentional and "then put the ball in play on the endline".