View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

High School rules - intermural game

We had Team A down by about 4 with 26 seconds to go. Missed shot by Team A, rebound by B1 outside the paint who is about to begin dribbling the ball up the floor. A1 comes full speed into the paint and grabs B2 (who is also in the paint) in a complete bear hug, with momentum first moving them forward but then with A1 starting to pull B2 backwards while B1 has already begun his dribble and is about halfway to the outer edge of the 3-point line. To add to the flavor, while not a qualifying nor affecting part of the call, the entire Team A was screaming to "foul, foul!"

At the point where A1 begins to tighten his bear hug and pull B2 backwards, I call Intentional Foul. What would you say for the call? Of note perhaps, I almost considered calling a flagrant foul, that was the level of intensity of the foul.

Both my partners questioned the call after the game (although not questioning whether it by the BOOK was an intentional foul, but rather whether when they are fouling to stop the clock that it should just be a regular foul)

I normally agree to giving some leeway to these late game situations, however, IMO I made the right call because there was clearly no play on the ball and because of the aggressive nature of the foul.

Your thoughts and/or encouragement would be appreciated

Thanks