View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

Fixing timing errors are mentioned twice in the rule book, under officials duties in 2-5 and under timer's errors in 5-10.
OK. So we agree that it's mentioned twice.

Quote:
We have ad nauseum gave you an example of 5-10 fixing timer's errors, with a comment saying only a timer's error can be fixed.

You have maintained that 2-5 and 5-10 are not connected, that 5-10 only deals with timer's errors and that 2-5 deals with all errors. Well where is a specific reference to fixing an official's error with 2-5-5?
2-5-5 gives the referee the power to correct obvious timing errors, it doesn't restrict how they occured.

Quote:
You know a rule with a heading official's error or a case play dealing with this situation, care to give it?
I don't know of one. That's my point. I'm saying there ISN'T a rule specifically stating that official's errors can't be corrected. The referee has the ability to make any decisions he/she deems necessary under 2-3 and 2-5-3 through 2-5-6. You're the one who keeps claiming that the rules state that an official's error can't be corrected. Where is the rule reference for that?

Quote:
2-5-5 starts out talking about when scorers or timers...note the plural...disagree and correct obvious timing errors. I can argue that this means fixing a timing error caused by the two timers disagreeing. This rule gives the official the authority to fix a timing error under 5-10.

Again, expand on this 2-5-5 claim. Show where it says it is seperate from 5-10.[/B]
I don't believe scorer and timer are plural in that rule. The rule book I'm looking at says "Decide matters upon which the timer and scorer disagree and correct obvious timing errors." I've never seen a game with two timers so I'm not sure how they could disagree. The scorer doesn't keep any timing information so they couldn't disagree on timing issues. So the timing issue could only be caused by a timer's mistake (covered in 5-10) or something out of the timer's control such as an official's error, scoreboard malfunction, etc. The possibilities aren't spelled out; only that the referee has the ability to correct them.