View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Recently I had a partner (by name, but not by nature) who:

1 - Showed up 30 seconds into the game, so I started solo.
2 - Disappeared during the first time out to go to another court to BS with someone over there, then didn't return when it was time to resume play, so I resumed play myself.
3 - Disappeared at halftime and didn't return in time to start the second half, so I resumed play myself.
4 - Walked the entire game. And walked slowly back downcourt (coming from lead to new trail I almost passed him) with his back to the court, never once looking back until he was set on the baseline.
5 - Never came over during a timeout to introduce himself or say anything.
6 - Never broke a sweat.
7 - Hardly blew his whistle unless it was for a ball out of bounds.
8 - Talked to people on the side, made faces, and generally acted as if it was beneath him to be there, and what difference did it make what he did?

Now, I'm still relatively new at this, and I would have no problem working with someone who's new and doesn't know exactly how everything goes yet. But it was obvious to me this wasn't a kid, this was a veteran who was slumming for the day and was not the least bit interested in what was going on on our court.

I just called my game, hustled, did what I was supposed to do (it was the last of three games for me on the day) and didn't worry about him, but it ticked me off. When I left, I told the guy who was going to have to work the next three games with him "good luck!"

Now, here's my dilemma - as a relative newcomer still, do I risk a political upheaval by telling the assignor I don't want to work with the guy anymore? For all I know, he's best buds with the assignor, and I have a sweet deal at this facility. But they're not paying me enough to have to work with this guy - it's supposed to be a little bit fun, right?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.