View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
Had a situation yesterday where A1 was continually dribbling up the sideline from back to frontcourt and the defenders were "reaching in" to try to stop him and, on occassion would slightly bump him. However, in each instance, he dribbled through and past the defense and continued to the basket for a shot and/ or a lay up.

The coach, in a non-confrontational manner, asked me why I was not calling this. I told him that I did not feel the contact impeded his player, since in each instance, the defender actually lost ground by trying to reach and, if he bumps him and causes him to lose control, I would call the foul. He seemed surprised at the explanation, yet kind of gave me one of those "makes sense" expressions and sat down.

It's a good feeling when you can logically explain why and what you are doing and an even better feeling of satisfaction when the coach is speechless, which is rare.
Had that happen once.

Coach says," That's a foul."

I said, "No, that's a lay up."

He looked confused and during the next timeout I told him, "The contact did not hinder your player and if I call that incidental contact a foul, I'm taking 2 points away from your player."

He went, "Aah, now I get it."