View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
Did six games yesterday and boy are my arms tired.

Anyway, one of the things I heard many times yesterday from different coaches was "That's reaching in!" (which seems to rank second to "That's over the back!" in frequency).

Have I been correctly taught? That the simple act of "reaching in" to the offensive player's torso space isn't a foul unless it impedes their progress?

Along those lines, I was also taught there's no "over the back" strictly speaking - it can be a push from behind, but just going over the top of someone to get a ball may not be a foul (I've seen it where there's no contact, or negligible contact) - the simple act of jumping higher and reaching over the top of the other player's space isn't necessarily a foul (and as far as I know there isn't an "over the back" mechanic or a foul with that name, correct?).

One last thing - had a coach yell at me because I didn't call an illegal pick for a screen set behind a player - the player being screened had the screener on her back. Illegal?

Yes, I'm going to read the rulebook, I just like hearing it in plain English from the folks here. Thanks.
Reaching In: The fact that a player "reaches in" has no significance without contact. It is also a play were many officials will determine whether there was advantage/disadvantage. Did the contact result in an advantage to the defender (ball comes loose, etc.)?

Over the back: Report a "push" with arms extended. Again, this foul involves "contact" and advantage/disadvantage. As you have probably heard before, "don't penalize height."

Screening: When screening a stationary opponent from the front or side, the screener may be anywhere short of contact.When screening a stationary opponent from behind, the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.