View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Me? I have a long fuse, and as long as the coach is just talking to me and not trying to show me (or my partner) up, I ignore it (unless it's extreme).

I was pretty lucky this season and didn't throw ANY T's. I should've stuck at least one coach though.

It was a tight game, and his team was trailing by 1 with 10 seconds left. His kid shoots and gets blocked (imo). Coach goes ballistic and is out on the court repeatedly saying "How can you not call that?" as I'm reporting my foul (his team quickly fouled the other team after the block). He was out on the court a bit almost past half court. There was 1.9 seconds left and I ignored it.

I shouldn't have. He deserved a T, no doubt about it. After the game the JV coach (he was the freshman coach), came and apologized to me on his behalf, saying that he's never coached before this season and never even played the game. He also said it was a good no-call (as did my partner and the AD).

At the time, the coach made me doubt myself and I felt that if I really did miss that call and cost them the game, then maybe I deserved my verbal beating.

Long rant, but I was just wondering how you learn to draw the preverbial line. In 3 seasons I've only given 2 T's out (nearly 200 games). I have to toughen up on that I know, but I'm not sure how to do that...but I'm sure I'll learn.

How did you do it, or were you always able to treat a T as just another call (great mind-seat...I just have to get there).