Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
Chuck,

See Rule 5.10.1 and 2.

Comment:The rule you reference is Rule 3.3.4.

In Rule 3.3.1d it talks about a substitute who is ENTITLED to enter.

Rule 2.12 gives the Timer's Duties.

The rules as written assume that the timers are competent and fully understand their duties respecting proper starting/stopping of the device.

If the conditions were such that the clock should have started thus entitling the substitute to reenter should we disregard this rule because the TIMER MADE A MISTAKE?

NO. Why? Because timers mistakes are covered in Rule 5.10.

Rule 5.10.1...the Referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer to start or stop the clock properly only when he/she has definite information relative to the time involved.

Rule 5.10.2 says...If the referee determines that the clock was not started or stopped properly, or if the clock did not run, an officilas count or other information can be used to make a correction.

See my previous post for the "other information' I considered in making my decision to allow reentry or not.

Unfortunately, all that bafflegab above still hasn't changed the fact that the clock actually never did start. You can't take time off the clock now either because you don't have definitive knowledge under R5-10-2 as to how much time should be taken off. Do you take off 3/10 of a second? 5/10s of a second? One second? you just don't know, so you can't take anything off. Under a strict interpretation of R3-3-4, the substitution is not allowed. "Woulda, coulda, shoulda" aren't part of the rules.
I'm not following your bafflegab.

Are you saying the player should NOT be allowed to re-enter until some time has come off the clock?

I don't think the rule says that.