View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: For what it's worth!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Durkee
I know this is a different scenario than the original post, but to add to the more general discussion...

Very early this season, a team arrived an hour after the scheduled starting time for the game. The bus had left late and then an accident (not theirs) delayed them. My partner negotiated with the coaches and they agreed to a shortened warm-up time, shortened periods, and an abbreviated halftime. I emailed our assignor after the game and asked whether what we did was okay. He informed me that we should stay out of that decision-making and just referee the game.

I wonder if our association ever tried to negotiate a "late fee"?
I could see some real problems with being that late for a game, sometimes I am assigned multiple games at multiple sites, with first game in one town and second game in different town later in the day. This could really mess up getting to the second game/town in time for the second start time. I know, everybody will say, "don't schedule multiple games in different towns and you won't have that problem" true, but the games are scheduled by the assignor and he/she wants you on that particular game and knows how long it should take to get from Point A to Point B. Sometimes it creates a little anxiety even if the first block of games takes longer than expected because they get to be a little bit on the "foul-fest" side.

I can't see giving out any Ts for a bus being late. Stuff happens.