View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 07, 2001, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TheBigEZ
I am working an Indiana High School Sectional Championship this past Saturday night. I am behind the plate. Bottom of the 7th, 2 outs, runner on 3rd. # 1 team in the state is in the field, playing the # 8 team in the state, who is up to bat.

B1 has a 2-2 count. F1 throws a Wild Pitch that ricochets off F2's glove and trickles about 5 feet outside the home plate area (the dirted area) to the catcher's left. The right handed batter moves out of the way, and goes into the grass for what looks to be a play at the plate. As F2 retrieves the ball, he turns around to flip it to F1 covering at home. I am stationed on the opposite edge of the home plate area (back right edge) to make a possible call. AS F2 attempts to flip it, he double pumps the ball, before throwing it. When he does throw it, the throw is a perfect underhand toss to F1, but the runner beats the throw by a half-second. Runner safe, ballgame over.

The catcher is in my face saying it is batter interference. I say no. Batter went all the way out of home plate area, and when F2 did make a perfect toss to F1, it never hit the batter on its course, missing the batter by a foot or so. But I did not rule this interference. What do you think??
Basketball/Baseball