Thread: BLARGE
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

I saw a BLARGE tonite, boys Varsity, 3 man crew.

Drive into the lane from the perimeter, shot/crash.

Two whistles. C had a call and L had a call. C whistled and very enthusiastically showed a charge. L came out with a block signal. Both had fists up initially but both went immediately to their preliminary signal (particularly the C calling the charge). But they immediately recognized it, L pointed to C in deference, C restated his call and it stood. They figured it out real quick and no one had time to even figure out the double call.

If you are going to mess it up, it looked to me (for all I know) that they fixed it the right way

Frankly, from the stands it looked like a block (I was watching, having just finished my really lame girls JV game; I love reffing but sometimes those are a drag).

I was in the locker room with them after the game. They didnt discuss it. So I asked "how did you guys decide who to defer to on that block/charge you had?" Guy who was L said "I thought he had a better look so I gave it to him" (even though it was right under the basket). I said "You guys shure resolved it quick, before anyone who wasnt a ref even figured out there was a double whistle."

It seemed to me (for all I know) that the problem was two fold: 1. the gym was loud and I dont know if the C heard his partner's whistle to clue him in to the double whistle and his partner, as the L, was under on the other side which might have blocked him out; and 2. the general enthusiasm in going right to that emphatic charge motion for the crowd. Everyone loves to make that charge call!

I think had the C held his fist a little longer (and the L too) and not gone to the charge signal right away they could have recognized the double and worked it out without having to have given two conflicting preliminary signals.

I'm just trying to learn by watching.

Clark

[Edited by totalnewbie on Feb 9th, 2005 at 01:31 AM]