View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar60
Ok, after much consideration I have applied to become a basketball official. I believe I am doing it for the right reasons, I enjoy the sport, enjoy working with the kids, believe I can put up with the parents and coaches and I am not looking to get rich in the process.

I have a decent knowledge and understanding of the game but have found a lot of very useful information on this boards and a had a number of laughs also. I also know there is much to learn regarding exact rulings and proceedures.

My questions to you are:

1. What first steps would you recommend I take to help me become a good official?

2. Would a clinic be of use and where do I find a good one in my area (Southeast Mich.)?

3. What are common mistakes new officials tend to make and how do I avoid them?

Thank you in advance.
1) Get paired up with some vets for some rec or jr. high games. Listen and learn.

2) I'd recommend that you get a few games under your belt before attending a camp. If your first game is at a camp, you're going to get absolutely buried with input and it might lead to overload.

3) Most new officials go way too fast on both their calls (anticipating) and when reporting. Slow down!

Z