View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 05, 2001, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: I beg to differ!

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Sure she can dribble again. It's still an interrupted dribble. There's nothing that legally prevents her from picking the ball up or resuming her dribble. As you said, she lost player control. Just because she resumes her dribble doesn't negate the fact that there was a loss of player control. [/B]
Oh,dear, have I been calling this wrong? I thought this rule (not referring to the out-of-bounds) was that she could resume her dribble as long as she didn't "pick it up". I thought we discussed this in a previous thread, and that was the conclsion we came to. I've got to get my books, now and look it up.

Incidentally, at camp this weekend, I had the opportunity to use the knowledge we accumulated regarding stepping out on a dribble being OOB, even if the dribbler wasn't actually touching the ball when the foot was on the line. The coach was standing about 3 inches from the dribbler. I was right on the line, watching, but several feet back. The coach yells, "How can you tell if he was touching the ball from that far back?" "Coach, it's OOB even if he is not touching the ball at that moment." "That's not the way it's written!!" "Look it up, coach, in your Simplified and Illustrated. I'll explain later if you want." Man, it felt great to KNOW I was right!!!