View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 11:57am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by mopar60
Ok, after much consideration I have applied to become a basketball official. I believe I am doing it for the right reasons, I enjoy the sport, enjoy working with the kids, believe I can put up with the parents and coaches and I am not looking to get rich in the process.

I have a decent knowledge and understanding of the game but have found a lot of very useful information on this boards and a had a number of laughs also. I also know there is much to learn regarding exact rulings and proceedures.

My questions to you are:

1. What first steps would you recommend I take to help me become a good official?

2. Would a clinic be of use and where do I find a good one in my area (Southeast Mich.)?

3. What are common mistakes new officials tend to make and how do I avoid them?

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the forum and officiating!!!

1. Listen to other and senior officials. They want to pass along everything they've learned. You've already made a good step by reading plays and other situations on this forum, it's a great place to learn! Also, if you ever wonder about something or wonder what the ruling is, look it up...you'll be surprised how much you remember by doing this. If you can't find it in either books, don't be afraid to ask on here, we are here to have fun and help fellow officials!

2. Clinic would be of use because you would be able to get instant feedback on what you are doing wrong.

3. Common mistakes: most new guys try to do too much. Just go out there, relax and have fun! If you do this, you'll find it a lot easier and more enjoyable.