View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Last night, very competitive HS game between tall athletic inner-city kids (call the coach "Bill") and small suburban kids who can shoot the lights out (call the coach "Bob"). I've worked both these schools numerous times, am friendly with both coaches and they are friendly with each other. We all address each other by first names.

Athletic team attacked the basket all night, but often started the dribble after lifting the pivot foot; or took an extra step after a jump stop. Several traveling calls from both myself and my partner.

Bob is yelling for traveling on every other possession. Not obnoxious, not yelling at us, but is calling for it. A couple minutes left in the first half, Bill says to me, "Chuck, I'm not really sure that we're traveling as much as you guys are calling it." I said, "Yeah, but at least we're not calling it as much as Bob is asking for it." Bill laughs and says, "Well, I'll have to give you that one."

Not 30 seconds later, Bob says to me, "I know you guys are calling some travels, Chuck, but they're getting away with a lot of them." I said, "Bill thinks we're already calling too many." Bob laughs and says, "He would."

I just thought those were two very funny interactions. We're all watching the same game and have three different perceptions of what's going on. It was also nice to have those conversations in a non-confrontational way.