Thread: PANIC
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Thanks - both of you. All of that should be very helpful (I'll print and review before the game).

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is with their refs - my entire contact with basketball is my 6-year old son playing in the lowest league. I usually score-keep (ie hit start on the clock and relax each quarter), so I'm away from most fans, and near most of the people running the league. We have one ref who's there EVERY week, and I always chat with him - he doesn't belong to any association at all. So maybe the problem is that the powers that be didn't go through an official's association or even work with a scheduler. In football, the area hired a scheduler who is on a varsity crew and knows everyone. In softball, they hired me to schedule, and I know most everyone as well (plus I get all my guys certified). Maybe in basketball they are kind of on their own. I'll talk about things with her when I get a chance to see what the deal is.

As for me, I don't much care what they pay, I'm just doing it to help out. But in softball, baseball, and football, the pay is actually better than competitive (I make more on a Peewee football Saturday than I do for most Varsity games).
If I were you, I'd go watch some games the week before to get an idea of how things go at the levels you'll be working.