View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 07, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I'd like to get your feedback. The other day, I was watching a GJV game where a parent of one of the girls who was playing yelled at an official. This parent is a Varsity official, and sits on our association board. His/Her, (not wanting to tip anyone off), daughter wasn't on the floor, and the official got the play correct. It happened to go against his/her daughters team. (His/Her daughters team was up by double digits in the first quarter when this call happened and the game never was close) Though the comments weren't vulgar by any means, they still were directed at the calling official. This is not the first time I have seen him/her yell at an official. In fact, I think I have had him/her yell at me.

My feelings are, we as an association are a fellowship. We should stick together. By yelling at one another, do we not embarrass our association? Someday, these two officials may have to work together. If so, will the official who yelled at an earlier time feel superior to the other official. By the way, who of us hasn't kicked a call or two? Who of us is so good that there is no room for criticism? I'm not, often times I go looking for officials who have seen me work to ask for advice on how I can improve. I've even asked this same person for help after working in front of him/her. Am I wrong for feeling that we as officials shouldn't be yelling at our fellow associates? I'm not talking about High School officials yelling at Collge officials, I'm talking about peers yelling at peers. Your comments.