View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

One Last Time

8.05j refers to a pitching position. 8.05k does not refer to a pitching position for a reason. It is not part of the rule. Historically I could go into the reasons why but let me simply state this.

You umpire games according to the level of the game. "Gee" says he doesn't do Fed games but he brings up a situation you would see in high school. Unknowingly standing on the rubber, looking at centerfield, rubbing the ball. And I suppose he was also wearing a batting glove.

I have never seen a pitcher do that in the college level or up. If he did I would probably call it a balk and both I and the pitcher would have a good laugh.

"Abergman"'s original question was at the Legion level. I hope he's not confused by all of this. He's looking for help at that level and we're talking about moves, (rubbing ball looking at centerfield while on the rubber) that should be corrected at instructional level baseball.

Legion is not an instructional league.

It is a ball when not on the rubber and in the dirt area when you lick your fingers. It is a balk on the rubber, not because the rules prohibit licking your fingers on the rubber but because you can't make those kind of stupid moves, (known as feinting or deceiving the runner), while you are on the rubber.

And lastly, if 8.05k was only to be applied when in a legal pitching position, it would say that instead of while touching his plate.