View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

It's funny that this thread comes up.

This is a topic that I've thought about before and frankly, I think we drop the ball as officials.

Let me first state that this type of sitch I have obviously seen many times. I have rarely seen a foul called, and this intrigues me.

Let me second state that my above post was not well thought out. I will leave it as is to remind myself to do better next time.

Ok. What is it about this sitch that intrigues me? It's that I think more fouls should be called, but I don't see them being called. As my career marched on, I didn't call fouls because I was told not to. Now that I'm a much more experienced referee, I think we have to call more fouls that occur in this situation.

Reasonable: if A initiates contact, you could have a foul by A, on B.
Reasonable: if we're applying A/D, and the ball is sailing OB, only if B has a reasonable chance to secure control of the ball, should a foul be called.
Reasonable: that B will make a greater effort for the ball than A, if it's going to be A's ball.
Reasonable: that a point exists that B is considered to be "past A" in terms of going for the ball. Possible criteria are: B's body is passed A's body, although B's shoulders may not be square to the ball. B's path to the ball will likely be around A, but close to A. B could give A a shimmy, a dipsy-do, or what have you, to get by A. (AKA a deek.)

If all these reasonable activities are satisfied, then it's reasonable you have a foul if you believe that they're all reasonable activities. The only one I can see a reasonable discussion on is the fourth point. (Could you have a foul if you don't believe they're all reasonable? I don't think so.)

So now it becomes a judgement about point four. If B gets his body around A, and A initiates contact with B, removing B's opportunity to obtain an obtaining ball, then that is a foul. A removed B's path to the ball and benefits from the situation by claiming possession by throw-in.

My post above should have read, "Usually it's nothing, but if it's near the end of the game and B needs the ball because they're losing, and A did block B's attempt to make a play on the ball, I don't want to miss anything." I know that is good advice at any time, though.

That is what I meant. Like I said, I will try to better next time. Thanks for kicking my butt into place.