View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

We leave it up to the officials

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRefinator
Question: How does your league/board look upon officials who take games where members of their immediate family are playing. Should officials refuse all games in a league/division if their son/daughter's school is in that same league/division?

Example: I worked a JV game the other night and found out my partner had a son who played on the V for the same school system. I realize that he wasn't officiating the V game, but a couple of the JV players from the opposing team were swing and did get some V minutes. If someone were to catch on, couldn't this lead to some unwanted headaches?
Our state registration for playoff assignments and our local association lets you list the schools that you would not want to call due to conflicts of interest.

Our local association is very strict on this, but a few years ago we had a state baseball playoff in which one of the umpires had a son playing. It was really bad as he actually made a couple of very questionable calls.

I believe that the man involved was suspended and their association got reprimanded and no playoff games for the next year.

Thanks
David