View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Had an association meeting last night. The VP of the association goes over some "you make the call" plays. One play reads like this:

A1 steals the ball from B1 at the division line and drives for an uncontested basket. B2 runs after A1 and violently pushes A1 from behind as he/she is in the act of shooting. The ball: 1. goes in the basket or 2. does not go in the basket. You make the call.

So his answer for situation 2 is what I expect - count basket, 2 shots plus ball at spot of foul.

But his answer for situation 1 was puzzling. He says, and he claimed to have a Case Book play to back it up, was that, if the shooter missed the shot, he'd get 4 shots plus the ball at the spot. 2 shots for the miss, plus 2 shots for the flagrant. I didn't say anything because he said he had a Case Book play, and no one else said anything either, but I was definitely unsure that he was correct.

So today I try and find the situation in the Case Book - I couldn't find it. I did find it in the Simplified and Illustrated book on page 79 (10-6 Pen 4), which says very clearly that the shooter would get 2 shots whether the shot goes in or not.

Way to screw up an interpretation for the whole Association, Mr. VP. Well, there were only about 60 people out of 300+ there, but still.
Missed the meeting - had a game last night.

I think you're 100% correct on this one Smitty. The difference is in the nature of the foul. If it was a common foul, the shooter would get either one or two free throws if the basket was respectively made or missed. With an intentional or flagrant foul, the shooter gets two free throws irregardless of whether the goal is made or missed, plus they get the ball back at the spot nearest the infraction. I can't find anything that would support the 4 free throw scenario on a single foul either......
GRAMMAR POLICE! .....there is no such word